Vintage is in nowadays, and it’s showing no signs of going away. One of the beauties of choosing a vintage interior look is that it’s going to look elegant, timeless, and classic for years and years to come. Of the biggest vintage design trends is the resurgence of art deco, which one can flawlessly replicate in their own interior style using metal ceiling tiles. Art deco was the epitome of chic during the 1920s, and it focused largely on opulent materials, ornate textures, and bold tones reminiscent of the finest jewels.
When you think of a Gatsby party, you’re thinking of the height of the art deco style. Some of the defining features are geometry, symmetry, metallics, lush fabrics, and romantic jewel tones accenting various parts of a room. With those elements in mind, it’s easy to see how you can use metal ceiling tiles to bring the art deco look into any space of the home or even a business establishment. 5 metal ceiling tiles that really help you achieve that classic Gatsby party art deco look in your space are:
- #101 Classic Four Square – If you’re looking for simplicity, the #101 Classic Four Square pattern is perfect for embracing the geometry and symmetry of art deco. This pattern uses simple square shapes with plenty of depth and dimension, allowing you to play with the shine of the metal along with the beauty of the symmetrical geometric design. If you don’t want art deco that’s over the top, this tile is exactly what you’re looking for.
- #103 Fleur de Lis – With a smaller Fleur de Lis pattern than the #102, the #103 Fleur de Lis pattern has a busier and more opulent look. Because it’s perfectly symmetrical, you get to play with a bold texture that really sets the stage for the rest of the art deco elements in the space. Oozing with opulence, this is a metal ceiling tile pattern that can be kept in a metallic shade to emphasize the shine or done in another color without losing its authentic art deco look and feel.
- #123 Floral Centerpiece – With the floral centerpiece #123 design, you may not be getting the geometry so distinct to the period, but you’re getting both opulence and symmetry in an elegant design. Its beautiful “roaring ‘20s” gilded look allows you to give any space a truly regal art deco appeal.
- #130 Sixteen Flowers – Simple, geometric, symmetrical, and shining, the #130 Sixteen Flowers design embodies all that art deco was known for then and continues to be known for today. Although it has a simpler vintage style when compared to the Fleur de Lis or the Floral Centerpiece, it has the ability to stand out without overpowering other opulent textures that you may incorporate into your art deco-inspired interiors.
- #126 Roman Medallion – Roman Medallion is a symmetrical design that utilizes opulence and geometry at the same time. Comprised of framed circles, this metal ceiling tile design is intricate enough to make a statement but simple enough to not overwhelm a space you may wish to incorporate other textures into. Like the Floral Centerpiece design, the Roman Medallion gives off a distinct “roaring ‘20s” regal look when done in warm colors or finishes.
Playing With Color
Having the design of your metal ceiling tiles is only half the battle when it comes to creating an art deco look. You’ll also need to consider color and how the color you choose plays off of the metallic texture of the design. While one may first think of black, white, silver, and gold when they think of art deco, remember that this was also an era of embracing color.
In modernizing your art deco style, you can use metal ceiling tiles to bring color into your space in a unique and fun way. While one can certainly opt for classics such as shining Antique Clear, bright Arctic Shimmer, regal Classical Gold, or dramatic Candy Haze Black, that’s not the only way to achieve an effortless art deco look. Instead, you can bring your art deco look from 1920 to 2020 by opting for brighter shades such as Candy Red, Aquamarine, Copteal, or Forest Green.